THE BARTON MANOR HOTEL
Staying at the Barton Manor Hotel in the prime location of Preston, UK means you have all kinds of tourist attractions on your doorstep.
Explore the beauty of the Forest of Bowland, an Area of Outstanding National Beauty (AONB) or take to the dazzling lights and brisk sea air of Blackpool. Visit us at any time in the year with one of our great deals and enjoy the markets, events and tourist attractions in Preston, Lancashire.
Or you may want to relax, enjoy the sumptuous luxury of our hotel and the top-rated service of our friendly staff.
A slice of history at Barton Manor Hotel
To stay at Barton Manor Hotel is to step into a building that has played so many parts, from family home to an officer’s mess during World War II.
Built at the turn of the 20th century, it was originally a six-bedroom country residence for a local mill owner, John Healey. Purchased in 1925 by Levi Collinson, it remained a family home until it was requisitioned by the War Office in 1940.
It caught the eye of Edward and Ada Topping in 1945, but they were unable to purchase it until 1950. By this time, the once elegant building and gardens was a shadow of its former self. Undeterred, they bought the property, renovated it and opened for business as a bed and breakfast in the summer of 1951.
Over the coming decades, the popularity of the hotel was such that more rooms were added. It also grew as a business too, with the Topping’s son Eddie opening the northwest’s first garden centre in its ground. The garden centre is still growing strong, but no longer based at the hotel.
In the mid-1990s, the interior of the hotel was redesigned and refurbished by Eddie’s middle son, Ian. Plans were discovered from 1901 that showed a walled garden. Subsequently, it was built, following the detail exactly with only one addition – a roof. The award winning Walled Garden Bistro was born.
Today, the hotel offers accommodation for guests, as well as wedding and conferencing facilities. It is a prominent and well-known hotel, just one of the many attractions in Preston, Lancashire.
Renovated in the 1950s by the Tapping family, it has continued to grow. Starting life as a bed and breakfast, it soon flourished into the hotel that many guests have grown to love.
At one time, the grounds of the hotel were also the site of a garden centre. But its popularity meant it soon outgrew the site. It is now a thriving business not far from the hotel itself.
The Barton Manor Hotel is now known as one of the luxury hotels in the Preston area that offers a range of services to its guests;
- 51 bedrooms and a small annexe of eight rooms all of which are luxurious and exquisitely decorated
- We offer the best in conference and banqueting facilities
- Two suites – the Barton and the Manor – used for all kinds of events including birthday and ‘celebration of life’ events
- Bespoke wedding packages where the attention to detail by our wedding coordinator is second to none
- The latest technology, such as high speed Wi-Fi free for guests and conference delegates to use
- The award-winning The Walled Garden Bistro, considered to be one of the best restaurants in the county creating exciting dishes from local produce
- Leisure facilities for the exclusive use of guests including a heated indoor swimming pool, sauna and well-equipped gym